Each street within the City of Linden has a specific Right-Of-Way (ROW), a distance from the front property line on one side of the street to the front property line on the other side of the street. This is public property, however, by ordinance; it is the responsibility of the homeowner to maintain this area. Usually the roadway is centered within this Right-Of-Way, with sidewalks on either or both sides of it.
Encroachments into the Street Right-Of-Way are prohibited. All signs, fences, walls, structures, etc. shall be within the confines of the respective property boundaries.
There are approximately 91 miles of Municipal Roads running through the City of Linden that are under its jurisdiction.
There are approximately 9.5 miles of County Roads running through the City of Linden that are under the jurisdiction of Union County. These roads include:
- Elizabeth Avenue from Park Avenue to the Rahway Line
- Linden Avenue (East) from Park Avenue to the Elizabeth Line
- Raritan Road from Wood Avenue to Stiles Street
- Roselle Street from St. Georges Avenue to Elizabeth Avenue
- Stiles Street from Raritan Road to Edgar Road
- Valley Road from Stiles Street to the Clark Line
- Wood Avenue from Raritan Road to Edgar Road
There are approximately 10 miles of State Roads running through the City of Linden that are under the jurisdiction of the State of New Jersey. These roads include:
- Edgar Road (US1&9) from the Elizabeth City Line to the Rahway City Line
- New Jersey Turnpike (I95) from the Elizabeth City Line to the Borough of Carteret
- Route 278 from Edgar Road to the Elizabeth City Line
- St. Georges Avenue (NJ27) from the Elizabeth City Line to the Rahway City Line