Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer


Traffic Safety Notice

Road traffic safety refers to methods and measures for reducing the risk of a person using the road network being killed or seriously injured. The users of a road include pedestrians, cyclists, motorists, their passengers, and passengers of on-road public transport, mainly buses and trams. Best-practice road safety strategies focus upon the prevention of serious injury and death crashes in spite of human fallibility (which is contrasted with the old road safety paradigm of simply reducing crashes assuming road user compliance with traffic regulations). Safe road design is now about providing a road environment which ensures vehicle speeds will be within the human tolerances for serious injury and death wherever conflict points exist.

Upcoming Public Meetings

A town hall meeting is an American term given to an informal public meeting, function, or event derived from the traditional town meetings of New England. Typically open to everybody in a town community and held at the local municipal building, attendees generally present ideas, voice their opinions, ask questions of the public figures, elected officials, or political candidates at the town hall. Attendees rarely vote on an issue or propose an alternative to a situation. It is not used outside of this secular context.

Summer Rock Festival Tickets on Sale!

A rock festival, considered synonymous with pop festival, is considered to be a large-scale rock music concert, featuring multiple acts performing an often diverse range of popular music including rock, pop, folk, electronic, and related genres. As originally conceived in the mid to late 1960s, rock festivals were held outdoors, often in open rural areas or open-air sports arenas, fairgrounds and parks, typically lasted two or more days, featured long rosters of musical performers, and attracted very large crowds – sometimes numbering several hundred thousand people.

Local Artist Exhibition

The performing arts community in Louisville, Kentucky is undergoing a renaissance. The Kentucky Center, dedicated in 1983, located in the downtown hotel and entertainment district, is a premiere performing arts center. It features a variety of plays and concerts, and is the performance home of the Louisville Ballet, Louisville Orchestra, Broadway Across America – Louisville, Music Theatre Louisville, Stage One, KentuckyShow! and the Kentucky Opera, which is the twelfth oldest opera in the United States. The center also manages the historic W. L. Lyons Brown Theatre, which opened in 1925 and is patterned after New York’s acclaimed Music Box Theatre.

CDC Warning – Do Not Eat Romaine Lettuce

The CDC is advising that U.S. consumers not eat any romaine lettuce, and retailers and restaurants not serve or sell any, until we learn more about the outbreak. This investigation is ongoing and the advice will be updated as more information is available.

  • Consumers who have any type of romaine lettuce in their home should not eat it and should throw it away, even if some of it was eaten and no one has gotten sick.
    ◦    This advice includes all types or uses of romaine lettuce, such as whole heads of romaine, hearts of romaine, and bags and boxes of precut lettuce and salad mixes that contain romaine, including baby romaine, spring mix, and Caesar salad.
    ◦    If you do not know if the lettuce is romaine or whether a salad mix contains romaine, do not eat it and throw it away
    ◦    Wash and sanitize drawers or shelves in refrigerators where romaine was stored. Follow these five steps to clean your refrigerator.
  • Restaurants and retailers should not serve or sell any romaine lettuce, including salads and salad mixes containing romaine.
  • Take action if you have symptoms of an E. coli infection:
    ◦    Talk to your healthcare provider.
    ◦    Write down what you ate in the week before you started to get sick.
    ◦    Report your illness to the health department.
    ◦    Assist public health investigators by answering questions about your illness.
  • Advice to Clinicians
  • Antibiotics are not recommended for patients with E. coli O157 infections. Antibiotics are also not recommended for patients in whom E.coli O157 infection is suspected, until diagnostic testing rules out this infection.
  • Some studies have shown that administering antibiotics to patients with E. coli O157 infections might increase their risk of developing hemolytic uremic syndrome (a type of kidney failure), and the benefit of antibiotic treatment has not been clearly demonstrated.

Neighborhood Preservation

Home Improvement Program

City of Linden residents can apply for a no interest loan of up to $24,999 for home rehabilitation. The loans are perpetual liens that are repaid upon the sale of the home. Participants must own and live in their 1 or 2 – family dwellings. Eligible improvements include new roofs, electrical, plumbing and heating systems.

Homeowners can apply for this program by contacting Robin Lospinoso at Development Directions LLC, 2 City Hall Plaza, Rahway, NJ 07065 (telephone 732.382.8100). Interested homeowners can call the office for an appointment. A follow up letter is sent to the homeowner; along with the letter confirming the appointment. There is a list enclosed with all of the documentation needed by the program to determine eligibility.

The current eligibility incomes are as follows:

Household Composition (Persons)

Once determined eligible, an inspection is scheduled by the city’s cost estimator to inspect the home and determine the necessary improvements, which must include any health and safety issues. The homeowner is then supplied with a scope of work. Homeowners are then instructed to obtain two comparable estimates for the work. Once the homeowner receives the estimates, the homeowner prepares the contractor selection form and forwards their selection with the two estimates to the consultant.

Once the homeowner selects the contractor, the consultant prepares a detailed work write up and a Contractor Homeowner Contract. An appointment is then set with the homeowner, the contractor and the program to review and sign all of the documents, including the mortgage for the amount in the work write up.

New Jersey One Call

New Jersey State Law requires that you must call the New Jersey One Call System before you dig (excavation, demolition, etc.) whether it’s a small or a large construction or homeowner project (such as putting up a fence, mail box post or real estate sign post, building a home addition, deck or foundation, etc.) for marking underground utility lines. Calls must be made three (3) business days in advance, but no more than ten (10) business days. Excavation must commence within ten (10) business days. Operators are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 1.800.272.1000 or 811.

National Flood Insurance Program

The City of Linden participates in the National Flood Insurance Program which allows any property owner in the City of Linden, whether your property is located in a flood zone or not, to purchase flood insurance. Through the City’s activities associated with the Community Rating System, Linden residents receive a discounted rate on this insurance. To find out if you live in a flood zone, you can either call or stop in the Engineering Department or view the maps posted on the FEMA website. See the Official Flood Protection Notice.

This interactive tool from FEMA can assist you in determining the current and advisory flood risk of your property.

Streets & Roads in Linden

Street Right–Of–Ways

Each street within the City of Linden has a specific Right-Of-Way (ROW), a distance from the front property line on one side of the street to the front property line on the other side of the street. This is public property, however, by ordinance; it is the responsibility of the homeowner to maintain this area. Usually the roadway is centered within this Right-Of-Way, with sidewalks on either or both sides of it.


Encroachments into the Street Right-Of-Way are prohibited. All signs, fences, walls, structures, etc. shall be within the confines of the respective property boundaries.

Municipal Roads

There are approximately 91 miles of Municipal Roads running through the City of Linden that are under its jurisdiction.

County Roads

There are approximately 9.5 miles of County Roads running through the City of Linden that are under the jurisdiction of Union County. These roads include:

  • Elizabeth Avenue from Park Avenue to the Rahway Line
  • Linden Avenue (East) from Park Avenue to the Elizabeth Line
  • Raritan Road from Wood Avenue to Stiles Street
  • Roselle Street from St. Georges Avenue to Elizabeth Avenue
  • Stiles Street from Raritan Road to Edgar Road
  • Valley Road from Stiles Street to the Clark Line
  • Wood Avenue from Raritan Road to Edgar Road
State Roads

There are approximately 10 miles of State Roads running through the City of Linden that are under the jurisdiction of the State of New Jersey. These roads include:

  • Edgar Road (US1&9) from the Elizabeth City Line to the Rahway City Line
  • New Jersey Turnpike (I95) from the Elizabeth City Line to the Borough of Carteret
  • Route 278 from Edgar Road to the Elizabeth City Line
  • St. Georges Avenue (NJ27) from the Elizabeth City Line to the Rahway City Line

Crime Tips –

Crime Tips provides a way for our citizens to communicate with the police department, via email, who wish to provide information to the police department anonymously.

  • Users may leave information regarding specific information as to the whereabouts of wanted persons, information regarding cases, crimes, and illegal drug sales or possession information.
  • Users do not have to provide personal identifiable information, such as name, address or phone numbers.
  • This email link is not to be used for reporting purposes such as, requests for burglary reports, petty theft reports, collision reports or other.
  • This email link is meant to be another avenue for the citizens of Linden to give anonymous tip information.
  • These emails will not be replied to unless otherwise indicated by the user.

If you need to make a report and speak with an officer directly and it is a non-emergency, please contact the Police Department. If you have an emergency, please call 911.